[mythtv-users] Fedora 11 and lirc

Cram Rigby cram.rigby at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 12:11:35 UTC 2009

> 1) lirc_i2c in the F11 release kernel isn't functional on at least
> some hardware (notably, the Hauppauge PVR-250/350). Its fixed in the
> latest kernel hanging out in the build system though --
> http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/packages/kernel/2.6.29.5/198.fc11/

I've had a Hauppage PVR-150 (a MythTV box) working with lirc from
FC6->F10 and been banging my head against the wall for a week trying
to get the remote to work in F11.  At first I thought with F11
locations of some of the config files moved from the atrpms version
(e.g. /etc/lirc/hardware.conf vs. /etc/sysconfig/lirc).  I tried so
many things and irw comes up empty when using the Hauppauge remote.

Are you saying the kernel itself doesn't have something configured
properly and I should stop wasting my time until this new kernel makes
it out into the wild?  Or am I missing something in one of the config
files?

Thanks, in advance!

My config details are below.  The only caveat is that I have USB imon
VFD with volume knob (which works fine with lirc_imon -- irw spits out
the correct codes when turning it) in an Antec Fusion case connected
that appears as /dev/lirc0 and the Hauppauge becomes /dev/lirc1.

> uname -a
Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.29.4-167.fc11.i586 #1 SMP Wed May 27
17:14:37 EDT 2009 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

> dmesg | grep lirc
lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, major 247
lirc_dev: lirc_register_driver: sample_rate: 0
usbcore: registered new interface driver lirc_imon
lirc_i2c: chip 0x10020 found @ 0x71 (Hauppauge PVR150)
lirc_dev: lirc_register_driver: sample_rate: 10

> ls -al /dev/lirc*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      5 Jun 25 19:18 /dev/lirc -> lirc0
crw-rw-rw- 1 root lirc 247, 0 Jun 25 19:18 /dev/lirc0
crw-rw-rw- 1 root lirc 247, 1 Jun 25 23:19 /dev/lirc1
srw-rw-rw- 1 root root      0 Jun 25 23:18 /dev/lircd

> cat /etc/modprobe.d/local.conf
  :
  :
alias char-major-61 lirc_i2c
  :
  :

> cat /etc/modprobe.d/lirc.conf
options lirc_imon display_type=1

> cat /etc/sysconfig/lirc

# Note: in addition to these parameters, you need to have working    -*- sh -*-
# configuration file for lircd (and lircmd if enabled).

# Options to lircd(8).  Typically, this will be empty, as which driver to use
# should be specified using the LIRC_DRIVER variable below.
LIRCD_OPTIONS=""

# The infrared receiver (and/or transmitter) driver to be used by lircd(8),
# similar to passing "-H driver" to lircd(8).
# Run "/usr/sbin/lircd -H help" to get a listing of supported drivers.
LIRC_DRIVER=""

# Which lirc device will be used by lircd(8).
# This is the same as passing "-d device" to lircd.
# An empty value will use the default /dev/lirc device.
LIRC_DEVICE="/dev/lirc1"

# If "yes", the init script will try to start lircmd(8) too.
ENABLE_LIRCMD="no"

# Options to lircmd(8).
LIRCMD_OPTIONS=""