[mythtv-users] Remote dead after Ubuntu update

Marc Tousignant drayson at net1plus.com
Fri Jun 26 05:50:01 UTC 2009

I jumped from 8.04 to 8.10, and then from 8.10 to 9.04 today. All live
upgrades. I was expecting a few things to break, but was pleasantly
surprised that the whole thing went pretty smooth...

Until I tried to use my remote. I've been beating my head against the wall
for two hours on this now and can't figure it out. Everything looks like its
working perfect. Modules are loaded, daemon is started, irw prints commands
as I press them, but myth does nothing.

Some various outputs:
mike at mythtv:~$ sudo lircd --device /dev/lirc0 --nodaemon
lircd-0.8.4a[5687]: lircd(default) ready
lircd-0.8.4a[5687]: accepted new client on /dev/lircd (<--- started up irw)
lircd-0.8.4a[5687]: accepted new client on /dev/lircd (<--- started up


mike at mythtv:~$ irw
00000000000017e1 00 Ch- hauppauge_pvr
00000000000017e1 01 Ch- hauppauge_pvr
00000000000017e0 00 Ch+ hauppauge_pvr
00000000000017e0 01 Ch+ hauppauge_pvr
00000000000017d0 00 Vol+ hauppauge_pvr
00000000000017d0 01 Vol+ hauppauge_pvr


mike at mythtv:~$ mythfrontend
2009-06-26 00:09:07.811 Using runtime prefix = /usr
2009-06-26 00:09:08.383 XScreenSaver support enabled
2009-06-26 00:09:08.384 DPMS is active.
2009-06-26 00:09:08.857 lirc init success using configuration file:

Anyone have any clues? Some Googling as lead to me something about HAL and
FDI files. I've tried a few things but none of seems to affect the results.


What are the contents of your lircrc? You sure it is still the config you
had before? Or did the upgrades overwrite it with something else?


mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users at mythtv.org

Contents look fine, and the file date is a year old. Its symlinked back to

mike at mythtv:~$ ls -lh .mythtv/lircrc
lrwxrwxrwx 1 mike mike 15 2008-06-17 21:22 .mythtv/lircrc -> ../.lirc/mythtv

mike at mythtv:~$ ls -lh .lirc/mythtv 
-rw-r--r-- 1 mike mike 4.5K 2008-06-26 20:25 .lirc/mythtv

mike at mythtv:~$ cat .lirc/mythtv 
    remote = hauppauge_pvr250
    prog = mythtv
    button = 7
    config = 7
 -- snipped --


"remote" is optional, but if you have multiple remotes configured in your
lircd.conf e.g. for IR Blasting, you can use this line to make sure that
only commands from the correct remote are used.

I see an issue, your irw is saying hauppauge_pvr, but your lircrc has


More information about the mythtv-users mailing list