[mythtv-users] liveTV/recordings down conversion???

jansenj jansenj+myth at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 12:50:11 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jun 7, 2009 at 7:55 AM, William <william_munson at comcast.net> wrote:

> On 06/06/2009 05:43 PM, Z F wrote:
>
>> Hello everybody,
>>
>> I have the following problem which I thought should have been discussed
>> already, but maybe I am using the right keywords for the search.
>>
>> My situation is that one of my frontends is relatively low power machine
>> and can display standard definition resolution.
>>
>> I am looking for a way to "ask" the backend which supplies the video
>> to down convert it from HD content so that it can be displayed on that
>> particular frontend. My understanding is that MythStream can do something
>> like this, but
>> I do not understand how to configure MythTV frontend to use this service.
>> It seems that it is designed for other purposes. I did not find any
>> switches
>> on the frontend configuration to achieve this.
>>
>> Can someone comment on this?
>>
>> Thanks a lot
>>
>> ZF
>>

> My suggestion for that underpowered machine is to purchase a nVidia 8400 or
> higher graphics card and use one of the VDPAU enabled versions of mythtv. It
> will play fine with your other systems and will let you play full HD with
> only a ~5% cpu load. Myth will automatically downscale the HD programming to
> fit your screen resolution so it will have the same effect as trying to set
> up mythstream to do the work for you. Its my understanding that mythstream
> cpu usage to real-time convert a video would be fairly high, perhaps higher
> than your cpu can support.
>
> I've had a similar thought, but if the OP is anything like me, the
"underpowered" machine either doesn't want to spend $50 upgrading an old
machine, or don't have the ability to upgrade the graphics support.

Is there a way to use mythexport to achieve something similar where you
could have myth down-convert and save a duplicate version of the video file
in a seperate recording group and add it to the database as well.  Just not
try to do it live.  Basically create a user job that downconverts and adds
it back to the database so I can add that user job to the shows that I will
most likely want to watch on SD capable machine.  Only downside is the
diskspace on your backend.