[mythtv-users] Minimum hardware recomendation

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 23:25:53 UTC 2009

>  With the lid on, it idled in the
> 80s and hit the low 90s under load.  So I added vents in the lid until
> it now idles at 72C.  I can't really guess how much of the heat is due
> to the CPU and how much is due to the GPU, but it's certainly
> plausible that a second core could push the temperature uncomfortably
> high.

That was one of the worries I had about the cardboard box.  Cardboard
is a pretty good insulator where metal a pretty good conductor of
heat.  I am thinking perhaps just an old DVD player case I have lying
around from one of the many dead DVD players I have collected over the
years.  It may be a little large but would fit nicely over a receiver
in and AV system.  The other was RFI.  I guess this is less of an
issue with everyone on DTV so you are not messing up anyones TV any
longer but if you have any Ham Radio operators around, they are not
happy with you.  It is nice to put this stuff inside a shielded
enclosure.

Allen
AA6EX (my Extra class ham call sign)