[mythtv-users] Watching web streams?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Jun 22 21:37:58 UTC 2009

On Monday 22 June 2009 14:53:37 Jim Morton wrote:

> Yes it is 64bit. I've just been looking at Virtualbox but I have zero
> experience with VM. I wonder if I could run WinXP-32bit in a VM on
> Ubuntu-64bit...

Probably. I'm running 3 virtual XP machines on a 64-bit Debian Lenny machine.

VirtualBox is probably the easiest of the VM solutions to get started with,
though VMWare is close. Something like Xen is a little harder to get started

> My other Windows machines aren't beefy enough to render a watchable
> show. We're talking 1Ghz, single core era, and with the $$ I just put
> into the Myth box it is going to be a while before I can upgrade them.
> Thanks!

The server I'm running VirtualBox on is a pair of Opteron 275s (dual core
chips) with 12GB of RAM. The XP virtual machines are fast enough to transcode
in real time, but are close to being maxed out.

Brian Wood
beww at beww.org