[mythtv-users] Minimum hardware recomendation

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Jun 22 17:38:15 UTC 2009

On Monday 22 June 2009 11:12:10 Allen Edwards wrote:
> > Here is one potential starting point.  It's probably possible to do
> > better.
> >
> > $160 Zotac IONITX "C" version from Amazon (includes power brick)
> > $30 2GB DRAM
> > $30 Streamzap IR receiver + remote
> > $90 500GB laptop hard drive
> > $145 HDHR
> > $30 network switch
> > $5 decorative 7"x7" cardboard box from Michael's for a case
> > $10 power button, power LED, HDD LED, jumper wires from Fry's
>
> This is a v

As in ..._ ..._ ..._ ?, _ . ... _ ?

> It looks to me that you can get the Zotac boards either with or without the
> power module with a difference of about $20.  Add to that the $5 for the
> cardboard and the $10 for the buttons and you are at $35.  It also looks
> like you can get a real case for about $40 with a 200 watt power supply.
>  However, buying a low end power supply and having more capacity than
> needed is not always a good idea.

True, low-end power supplies are never a good idea (unless you're selling
them), and running a PSU far below its rated output usually results in poor
efficiency.

> Having a place to securely mount the HD
> and the BM does seem like a good idea.  Being able to add a DVD drive so
> she can watch movies also seems like a good thing.
>
> Where do people come down on the power brick vs a case with power supply?
>  If the case, which one?

Putting the PSU inside the case requires that you remove the heat it
generates. In the case (no pun intended) of small specialty cases your choice
of power supplies is often very limited.

But bricks are often low quality, and limited choice as well. You can use an
external high-quality regulated supply, especially if only one voltage is
required. At least a brick is easily replaced, and keeping a spare on hand is
reasonably cheap.

So it's pretty well up to the buyer.

--
Brian Wood