[mythtv-users] Minimum hardware recomendation

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 17:09:50 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 9:04 AM, Allen Edwards<allen.p.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 8:50 AM, Johnny<jarpublic at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The ION system is definitely a great candidate for a frontend. I have
>> not heard any reports for its use as a backend. It would be good to
>> get some feedback on how the Atom handles the backend, database, and
>> comm-flagging.
>>

> Along those lines, I am assuming a 330 based system would perform
> better in a combines system but perhaps that isn't necessary.
>
> So, for a FE/BE, should I go with 230 or 330 system? I can't see that
> it matters how long com flag takes as we either start watching a show
> before it is over, or the next day.

First, let me say that I agree with previous posters about the
stability and ease of use of JYA's VDPAU backport.  The main bit of
"work" is to determine which deinterlacer is best for your system.

Allen, you mentioned that you haven't built a myth system from source
before.  I found that to be fairly straightforward.  However, the
first time it takes a while as you choose a set of configure options,
start the build, google why the build failed, install/update the
appropriate package on your system, lather, rinse, repeat.  It will
take some time, but it will also open new doors in your myth hobby
that you may wish had stayed closed...  Or, now that I think of it,
you might be able to use JYA's builds.

I don't have any experience with the Atom as a backend, but I would
make a bet and go with the 230 for a completely fanless system.  The
Zotac "C" board doesn't even come with a fan.  If an old Pentium 3 or
4 can do it, surely the Atom can.  Hyperthreading also helps a lot to
take the edge off.  Just be sure to discourage mythfilldatabase from
running during recording or playback.  In the worst case, you can get
the 330 version, drop it in, and probably recover most of the 230 cost
on craigslist.

Jim