[mythtv-users] Storage Groups question

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Jun 22 13:43:08 UTC 2009

On 06/19/2009 08:31 PM, James Orr wrote:
> From the wiki ...
>
> MythTV will balance concurrent recordings across the available directories
>
>> MythTV will balance concurrent recordings across the available directories
>> in a Storage Group in order to spread out the file I/O load. MythTV will
>> prefer filesystems that are local to the backend over filesystems that are
>> remote until the local filesystem has 2 concurrent recordings active or
>> other equivalent I/O, then the next recording will go to the remote
>> filesystem. The balancing method is based purely on I/O, Myth does not try
>> to balance out disk space unless a filesystem is too low on free disk space
>> in which case it will not be used except as a last resort.
>>
> I'm a little unclear about the local versus remote part there.
>
> I have a master backend and a slave backend.  The drive on each backend is
> shared via nfs and mounted on the other.  When I started watching some
> livetv to test things out, using a tuner on the slave backend it started
> recording to the nfs drive.  Based on what it says above, shouldn't it have
> gone to the local drive first?  Or am I not supposed to mount with nfs and
> myth can directly access remote filesystems itself?

Since you said that you were just testing things out, I'm guessing both
of the drives (the local and remote) were empty drives and were
identical (i.e. same size).  If so, then Myth was likely unable to
determine that the filesystems were different, so when it chose a
directory, it happened to just get one that was on a remote filesystem.

Once you've got some recordings on one or the other filesystem--enough
to change their available capacity by a number of megabytes--Myth will
know they're different filesystems.  Therefore, it shouldn't keep happening.

Mike