[mythtv-users] Upgrading from 32-bit to 64-bit and maybe a distroswitch?

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Sat Jun 20 04:38:11 UTC 2009

    > Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 15:14:54 -0600
    > From: match at ece.utah.edu

    > OK, I'm an old UNIX curmudgen. I don't like installations with everything in
    > one big root partition, and I like to work as root in a terminal session when
    > appropriate, rather than having to use sudo and my password for every
    > command that needs root authentication. It's against my religion.

Err, uhm, how about "sudo bash" and then every command you issue will
be executed as root?  (And you don't have to introduce the hole of
giving the root account a password.)  Maybe I haven't understood you.

[Also, you can configure sudo to ask you for your password only once
per session, rather than every time you sudo.  You still have to
remember to type the sudo if you didn't "sudo bash", but at least
you're not constantly typing your password as well...  And that's
no more insecure if you walk away than leaving yourself in a root
shell.]