[mythtv-users] ION Boards from Logic Supply

Robert Johnston anaerin at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 00:07:15 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 16:00, Brian Wood<beww at beww.org> wrote:
> On Thursday 18 June 2009 15:35:07 Mitch Gore wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 3:32 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
>> > Looks like another vendor has entered the ION board selling arena:
>
>> yes at a much higher price too!
>
> I wasn't suggesting anyone purchase from them, just pointing out that they
> seem to be becoming more "mainstream". Logic Supply has always seemed pretty
> high cost to me, but on several occasions I have found stuff there that I
> could not find elsewhere.
>
> I'm hoping this means we may start to see some complete systems. Not
> necessarily the "Vase" case, but units more suited to non-DIYers.
>
> It also means we may start to see more applications able to take advantage  of
> the video hardware.
>
> All good signs, IMHO.

I notice, of the 2 dual-core boards they have there, the second (The
IPX7A-ION, as opposed to the Zotac board) ditches the WiFi card in
favour of a full x16 PCI-Express slot.

With that in place, you can do a lot, with PCI-Express RAID cards,
Capture cards, Soundcards, even putting a "Killer NIC" in there for
real "Yo Dawg!" potential - "Yo Dawg, I herd you like PCs, so we put a
PC in yo PC, so you can compute while you compute!". :)
--
Robert "Anaerin" Johnston