[mythtv-users] Slightly OT - nVidia Ion - 230 or 330 for Myth FE

Kingsley Turner krt at krt.com.au
Thu Jun 18 05:24:37 UTC 2009

David Whyte wrote:
> In Australia and would like an Ion board (for a FE only machine).
> Looking here, we can only get Zotac boards such as the 230 that needs
> a proper PSU (ionitx-b-e) or the 330 which comes with the external PSU
> (ionitx-a-c).  I am after one with the external brick but want it to
> be silent.
>
> Questions:
> - Does the 330 have to be actively cooled or can it reasonably sit
> there without the heat-sink?
> - Anyone seen the 230 with the external PSU (ionitx-c-u) locally for sale in AU?
> - Has anyone had both the 230 and 330 and can give any reason for
> getting the 330 board over the 230?

Yeah, I'm planning *exactly* the same thing.

I don't so much care that the CPU has a fan, but that I can't hear it.

I wonder how you would go with one of those huge x86 fanless heatsinks
on it - I always imagine it sticking out of the top of the case like
those air-intake things sticking through the bonnet of a car.

-kt