[mythtv-users] Upgrading from 32-bit to 64-bit and maybe a distro switch?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Wed Jun 17 19:49:01 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 02:21:22PM -0400, Doug Lytle wrote:
> Brian Wood wrote:
>> Just because you *can* do something doesn't mean it's a good idea.
>>
>> Does a Myth system really need 4GB or more of RAM? How would it
>> benefit? Is the code optimized to take advantage of it?
>>
> I don't know if it's useful on a Myth system, but ripping DVD's to an
> 7GB ramdisk speeds things up a bit.

   That's a bit unexpected. I would imagine the bottlenck there would
be the DVD drive and that speeding up the rest of the system really
wouldn't count for much. I would expect that ripping outside of MythTV
ultimately boils down to babysitting the drive tray. The limiting factor
is how dedicated you are to keeping the process moving.

   Even if individual rips were faster or slower I would probably not
notice because I am doing something else.

> I use this on my desktop, when moving my movie collection over to my
> Myth box.

[deletia]