[mythtv-users] Upgrading from 32-bit to 64-bit and maybe a distro switch?

Jos Hoekstra joshoekstra at gmx.net
Wed Jun 17 17:46:36 UTC 2009

Doug Lytle schreef op 17-6-2009 19:20:
> Jos Hoekstra wrote:
>> If you're not, what's the reason to wanna go to 64 bit? As long as you
>> don't use more than 3 GB RAM I see no reason to
>

> Just an FYI, 3GB of RAM isn't a limitation of a 32bit OS, I'm running
> Mandriva 2008.1 32bit with 8GB.
> Doug

Sure I know, but only if you use more than 4 you'd benefit more(easier)
from 64 bit, for an average mythtv-system I didn't see ram-usage go over
1-1,2 GB.
Besides, my main point would be that you can just change the motherboard
and all and then start up again change some little things and you're
good to go.
In my book that beats a reinstallation and back-up action.

Jos

P.S. This only holds if you didn't make a total mess of your system.