[mythtv-users] Another take on large-capacity disk enclosures

Nick F nikos.f at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 23:27:45 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 4:23 PM, <f-myth-users at media.mit.edu> wrote:

> Steve Adeff's message of last week got me looking around, and I've
> come across a solution that might be good for people who need up to
> 20 disks cheaply (as we might soon for an ongoing project):
>
> 1x NORCO RPC-4020 4U Rackmount Server Case ($289)
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811219021
>
> 2x SUPERMICRO AOC-SAT2-MV8 64-bit PCI-X133MHz SATA Controller Card ($99)
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815121009
>
> Just to add a datapoint.  I've been using this Supermicro 8-port SATA card
for a few months now.  I have it plugged into a standard PCI port.  If you
are hitting multiple hard drives, you can notice the speed decrease - but it
works fine for me (and by fine I mean my backend can stream a blu-ray from a
drive through this card to the network - with no speed issues).

If I was to buy today - I'd get this card though:
http://www.supermicro.com/products/accessories/addon/AOC-SASLP-MV8.cfm and
plug it into the unused PCI-e x16 card in my backend (which is unused since
it runs headless and the built in intel video is more than good enough).  My
intel board has 6xSATAII ports on the board, plus the additional 8, in a CM
Stacker case works out as a nice 'consumer grade' solution for me.