[mythtv-users] phasing out analog outputs on all blu-ray players

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 19:03:46 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 12:54 PM, Johnny<jarpublic at gmail.com> wrote:
> I saw this article discussing plans recently released by the AACS
> people (http://arstechnica.com/media/news/2009/06/drm-licensing-group-presses-on-with-plan-to-plug-analog-hole.ars).
> This is the new agreement for AACS licensed players:
>
> "The terms of the agreement state that AACS licensees must limit
> analog output to interlaced SD resolution ("composite video, s-video,
> 480i component video and 576i video") for any device manufactured
> after December 31, 2010. Then, after December 31, 2013, no device that
> can decrypt AACS content can be made with any analog output
> whatsoever."
>
> I imagine that the cable companies will try and pull this off with set
> top boxes if this goes smoothly enough.

by either of those two dates I wouldn't be surprised if it no longer
matters because the encryption will be completely hacked.

At some point they will realize they're just pissing off paying
consumers and not making the lives of the "thieves" any more
difficult.

--
Steve
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/User:Steveadeff