[mythtv-users] Remote recommendations

Manuel McLure manuel at mclure.org
Tue Jun 16 18:39:20 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 10:15 AM, Christopher
Meredith<chmeredith at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been using an RF keyboard for years and I'm finally ready to move to a
> remote. I know there a re a lot that work with lirc but I wanted to ask
> about ones that are good for my particular purpose.

Any of the Harmony remotes from Logitech would suit your purpose. I'm
using a Harmony 880 (bought refurbished from Amazon) to control my
Samsung TV, Harman Kardon receiver and MythTV box (in an Antec Fusion
case.) They're not cheap, but work really well. One disadvantage is
that you need either Windows or MacOS to program the remote.

A nice thing about them is that they're activities based rather than
device based. So you can set up a "Watch MythTV" activity that will
automatically set the input on the TV, the input on the receiver, and
then configure the soft buttons on the remote to be useful with
MythTV. For example, on my setup the "Watch MythTV" activity will set
the TV to HDMI2, the receiver to Video 3 (my receiver doesn't do HDMI
switching so it's essentially just the audio setting) and will jump to
the MythTV main menu. Volume/Mute buttons on the remote control the
receiver while all the other buttons control the MythTV.

--
Manuel A. McLure WW1FA <manuel at mclure.org> <http://www.mclure.org>
...for in Ulthar, according to an ancient and significant law,