[mythtv-users] Busted pcHDTV HD-5500

Clay nt4usb at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 16 17:31:05 UTC 2009

> From: Brian Wood <beww at beww.org>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Busted pcHDTV HD-5500
> To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
> Date: Monday, June 15, 2009, 1:56 PM
> On Monday 15 June 2009 14:50:52 Clay
> wrote:
> > > From: Larry Sanderson <larry.sanderson at gmail.com>
> > >
> > > I have never seen a blown capacitor before, but
> google can
> > > help me there.  I
> > > think I'll try looking the card over one last
> time, clean
> > > the leads, and give
> > > it another shot.
> >
> > [OT]
> > Google 'capacitor plague'
> > I hadn't either until one of my LCD monitors died and
> I googled around a
> > bit. Pulled it apart and four of the six caps were
> popped.
> > Going to solder in $10.00 worth of caps and
> (hopefully) bring it back to
> > life.
>
> Be careful soldering, especially if the printed circuit
> board is multi-layer.
>
> Use a sucker or "Soder-Wik" (tm) to get the holes cleaned
> out well, and don't
> over-heat the board.

Got all that.
Best tip: use a good iron with a fresh tip. Not the ancient beater I used...

> Clean up any electrolyte that has leaked out of the cap
> from the board, it's
> pretty caustic, and will attack the board if you leave it
> on there.

They weren't popped, just bulged on top.
Replaced all 6 caps ($4.00 total) even though a couple looked ok.
Monitor fired right up.
btw, it is a 1.5 year old Viewsonic Q20wb. Evidently, a common problem with the low end Viewsonics. Probably explains why Viewsonic only warranties them a year.