[mythtv-users] Remote recommendations

Brian Long briandlong at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 17:23:04 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 1:15 PM, Christopher
Meredith<chmeredith at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been using an RF keyboard for years and I'm finally ready to move to a
> remote. I know there a re a lot that work with lirc but I wanted to ask
> about ones that are good for my particular purpose.
>
> I use a digital receiver for all sound processing so I would want to volume
> buttons to be able to be programmed to work on the receiver. I'd also want
> the power button to control the TV itself. Everything else I'd like to go to
> the computer. I'd like to be able to program all this would having to switch
> the remot between TV/CABLE/AUX modes like many universal remotes require. A
> plus would be programmable hot buttons I could use to execute scripts that
> would kill MythTV and load XBMC and vice versa.
>
> So is there a truly programmable remote that works well with lirc and
> MythTV?

I've been using a Radio Shack universal remote with good success:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/RadioShack_15-2146_Universal_Remote

I don't believe they sell this particular unit any longer, but other
Radio Shack remotes are also highly programmable and have a reasonable
cost ($20-$30).  If you contact Radio Shack tech support, they will
email you the instructions for advanced programming.

/Brian/