[mythtv-users] Another take on large-capacity disk enclosures

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Jun 15 22:45:45 UTC 2009

On Monday 15 June 2009 16:37:34 f-myth-users at media.mit.edu wrote:
>     > Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 16:01:09 -0600
>     > From: Brian Wood <beww at beww.org>
>     >
>     > I didn't find any standard PCI cards that were more than 4 drives.
>
> Do you mean, "anywhere?" or "including this card?"

I didn't count the SuperMicro card as "standard PCI", though it will work in
such slots, at reduced performance.

> I mentioned that the reviews on Newegg of the Supermicro card claim
> that it can, in fact, be used in a standard PCI slot, which is one
> of the reasons I'm considering it.  I figure my ultimate performance
> is likely to be limited by either the disk (if I'm using only one at
> a time) or the Ethernet connection (even gig-E) anyway (and some of
> the hosts on the other end will only be 100MB/sec Etherhet as well).
> So hopefully going PCI and not PCI-X (or PCI for one card and PCI-X
> for the other, depending on the mobo, etc) won't kill me.  I assume.

It's the difference between 64 bits clocked at 133Mhz. (PCI-X) and 32-bits
clocked at 33Mhz. (PCI) That a very substantial difference IMHO, even if the
PCI-X is clocked down to 100Mhz. due to using two cards.

Gigabit ethernet is actually faster than a standard PCI buss, though there are
factors that can negate that speed advantage.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org