[mythtv-users] Another take on large-capacity disk enclosures

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 22:15:31 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 6:08 PM, <f-myth-users at media.mit.edu> wrote:
>    > Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 17:52:18 -0400
>    > From: John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com>
>
>    > Links please. I really could use 8 port or greater SATA2 controllers
>    > in my file servers that do not include hardware raid that I will never
>    > use.
>
> Well, the Supermicro board I pointed to when I started this thread:
>
>> 2x SUPERMICRO AOC-SAT2-MV8 64-bit PCI-X133MHz SATA Controller Card ($99)
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815121009
>
> ...is cheap because (I assume) it doesn't try to do hardware RAID,
> and it has 8 ports.
>
> I don't know of any other such boards with 8 or more ports, though
> I haven't searched exhaustively.

My confusion was I thought there was a PCIe card that had similar
specs. I could use these. PCI-X I could still use but only on
older/slowe systems. In either case this is for work.

At home I am trying to reduce the number of drives and swap other
drives out to reduce the cost of power. I know a drive costs 75 cents
a month to power so I should not be that worried though but I do have
7 of them in my myth system..

John