[mythtv-users] DTV Transition

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 19:42:27 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 12:34 PM, Jay Foster<jayf0ster at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>> On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 10:11 PM, Tom Dexter<digitalaudiorock at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > I also pointed my antenna toward Philly and rescanned
>> to get frequency
>> > changes in that market (again...full scan with minimal
>> updates).
>>
>> How do you make sure that your antenna is pointed in the
>> right place
>> when it's time for a recording?  Do you have to pay
>> attention to your
>> scheduled recording list and manually move the antenna in
>> advance of
>> each recording?
>>
>> FWIW, I also live in central NJ (as I assume you do) but
>> I've never
>> attempted to do much with OTA broadcasts.
>>
>> Eric
>>
> The TV stations in my area are in no fewer than 8 different directions.  I use an antenna rotator with an IR remote control.  I use a Philips Pronto universal remote control that has timers in it to change the antenna position automatically for me when needed.  Works quite well.
>
> I have 2 HDHR tuners (4 ATSC tuners).  I needed to perform at least 2 scans for each tuner (for different antenna positions) for a total of 8 scans.  However, mythtv-setup kept segment faulting every 2nd or 3rd scan (mythbuntu 8.10 0.21-fixes).  This made the process take even longer.
>
> I did the first scans by choosing the "delete" previous settings option, and the second scan with the "minimal update" setting.  I needed the "delete" option because I had several stations swapping channels (ie, there was already a different channel on the same frequency in the database), and I have several different stations on the same channel with the same PSIP channel numbers.  Makes it very tricky to get the correct one scanned in.  It would be very nice to add a new scanning option of "single channel" to allow rescanning a single channel.

Wow...that sounds tough.  If you have more than one channel with the
same PSIP channel, I'm assuming they're on different sources, correct?
 I'd think that, otherwise, they'd end up with the same chanid, which
of course can't happen.

Just for others reference, swapping of frequencies (which happened
with CBS and TheWB in my area) does get handled correctly with just
minimal updates.  It ends up simply changing the freqid and the
mplexid of the channels.

Tom