[mythtv-users] Setting EDID for a TV

Boleslaw Ciesielski bolek-mythtv at curl.com
Fri Jun 12 13:30:41 UTC 2009

Steve V wrote:
> Am I correct in saying if X starts up bad the edid will be wrong
> therefore no ppoint in capturing that EDID?
>
> It seems pretty consistent that if I ctrl alt bkspce and tehn leave
> it to auto log in (which it does after 30 seconds) the display is
> fine. Should I create a script which runs ctrl alt bkspce after the
> PC has started? Any ideas how to do this?

If EDID is indeed wrong, then what you can do is this:

1. Once you get a good picture, capture the current mode with

     xvidtune -show

and put it in as a modeline in xorg.conf

2. Put the correct HorizSync and VertRefresh in xorg.conf (either get it
from the manual or if EDID is at least partially/sometimes correct, add

Option      "ModeDebug" "true"

to xorg.conf and read from the log file when X starts correctly)

3. Disable EDID completely

Then this should work as long as you don't change your TV. And the TV
won't even have to be on before X starts.

Bolek