[mythtv-users] Openchrome XvMC problems in mythfrontend

Ronald Pijnacker pijnacker at dse.nl
Fri Jun 12 13:01:44 UTC 2009

Hi all,

> This week I tried to upgrade my mythfrontend to mythbuntu jaunty.
> Running mythfrontend gives an error about not being able to create an XvMC Surface.
> The hardware I'm running on is a VIA EPIA M1000, the bug report can be found here:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-openchrome/+bug/371512
>
> Initially I filed a bug report under the openchrome video driver, but after
> a suggestion from the openchrome irc group, I ran xine with XvMC enabled.
> This worked without any problems.
> So the question now is, why I'm running into problems with mythtv. Any ideas?

After some digging, it turns out the reported problem is not an actual problem.
More XvMC surfaces are allocated than are available, but this continues without
further problems.

The stuttering seems to be related to 100% CPU usage, which should not happen with
XvMC turned on.
I have verified that XvMC is actually being used (by adding some logging to the
openchrome driver), and this is the case.

Ronald