[mythtv-users] experience with HD Homerun in Australia

Phil Wild philwild at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 04:40:57 UTC 2009

Hi All,

Just wanted to post some positive comments in case anyone else is
considering one of these.

I purchased a unit from JB HiFi on Wednesday. The sticker price was
$299 but I asked the sales assistant if he could do better and he gave
it to me for $250.

I currently have a Hauppauge NovaT-500 in my setup running mythbuntu
with JYA's packages installed.

I downloaded JYA's source packages and added the patches that provide
multiplexed recordings and recompiled. All went very well.

Once everything was installed, it was very easy to set up and
everything worked without issue.

Interestingly, with the NovaT, the best possible signal strength I
could achieve was 83-90% (with direct line of sight to the antennas)
and I used to get the occasional pixelated frame every now and again.
With the HomeRun, signal strength across the board went to 100% and in
an hour of watching, there were no pixelated frames (might just be
spot luck - I can report more after more time spent in front of the
system).

Just thought I would pass on my experience so far.... Very happy and
well worth the extra $50 over the NovaT....

Phil