[mythtv-users] New system w poor quality picture

Jim Morton Jim at Morton.hrcoxmail.com
Wed Jun 10 20:53:26 UTC 2009

Hi All,
I've been lurking here for only about a month so I'm still a little
wobbly on my Myth-feet. I just finished setting up a new Mythbuntu box
(my first) front-end / back-end combo, and was able to record and watch
live TV on it. This is just so freaking cool! But the quality of the
live tv picture is a little disappointing. It is a tiny bit jerky and
nowhere near as clean and clear as direct from antenna to TV. This is
OTA only from an HD digital antenna. I think I might need to set up this
VDPAU that everyone is talking about but I'm not real sure how I can
even determine that. Or it may be some other problem.

Hardware:
TV - 42" Samsung LCD 1080P
Tuner - HD Homerun
Motherboard - Foxconn A7DA-S
CPU - AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma 2.7Ghz dual core
Video - Asus silent GeForce 8400GS 64bit PCIe
Ram - Kingston 4GB PC2 8500
PSU - Corsair 400W
HDDs - Samsung 1TB x2 for video + Samsung 250GB for os

Software: Mythbuntu 9.0.4 64bit

Is there a how-to on setting up VDPAU and do you think I need it?