[mythtv-users] nVidia drivers 185.18.14 now out, ubuntu mythtv packages update ...

Clay nt4usb at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 10 18:36:54 UTC 2009

--- On Wed, 6/10/09, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com>
>
> Well.
> The WAF is at a bottom low with those drivers.
>
> Sometimes when pausing or starting a recording, the PC
> would just
> completely freeze requiring a reboot.
> And it's getting worse.
>
> As I've had a dozen report now about similar issues, I've
> decided to
> revert back to 180.60.
>
> I've rebuilt all mythtv and mplayer packages to link
> against 180.60 now.
>
> Downgrading to 180.60 from 185.18.14 is pretty much the
> same as
> upgrading to 185.xx from 180.
>
> http://www.avenard.org/media/Ubuntu_Repository/Entries/2009/6/10_How_to_downgrade_to_nVidia_drivers_180.xx.html
>
> Sorry for the inconvenience...
>
> 185.xx drivers and mythtv packages are still in the testing
> repository
> for those who do want them.
>
> I guess the old adage, don't fix what ain't broken has
> never been so true

aah...
This may explain why last nights update bjorked the video on my Hardy frontend.
Didn't think to roll back to the 180. Went all the way back to 173 that I knew worked...

btw, do you (or anyone?) know how to disable that hateful 'bulletprof' x that forces a vga display whenever x breaks?
It makes it impossible to configure x remotely since the stupid 'low graphics mode' message prevents gdm from stopping and/or restarting.
Of all the irritating 'Windows like' niggles the developers are adding to Ubuntu, this one has to be tops.
More than once, (and once for real) I've wanted to smash my keyboard over my knee, fighting that 'feature'...
If I wanted 'idiot proof', I'd use Windows. *g*

Thanks again for your contributions, JYA!