[mythtv-users] Linux kernel 2.6.30 released (PVR-1212 driver now officially supported)

Larry Finger Larry.Finger at lwfinger.net
Wed Jun 10 18:06:01 UTC 2009

Patrick Davila wrote:
> Linux kernel 2.6.30 is officially out:
> http://www.h-online.com/open/Linux-Kernel-2-6-30-released--/news/113492
>
> I searched through the source code and can confirm the hdpvr driver is in
> there. Now all we need is for Myth 0.22 to be finished.

I have been running 2.6.30 since -rc1 and it has been stable, even in
the early versions.

There is one problem. On my x86_64 system, I have been getting memory
allocation failures of order 1. See kernel bugzilla entry #13319 for
details. Just this morning, we discovered that when using SLUB with
CONFIG_SLUB_DEBUG enabled, the allocator thinks that a request for
4096 bytes is of order 1, not order 0 as it should! The problem arises
when memory gets badly fragmented, with a lot of 4K pieces that cannot
satisfy the request. If I try hard with lots of kernel compiles, etc.,
it takes about 24 hours before the failures start. I'm currently
testing a patch for the problem that should be in 2.6.30.1, it it works.

AFAIK, this problem does not affect systems using SLAB or SLOB, nor if
SLUB_DEBUG is off.

Larry