[mythtv-users] MythTV + iPod Touch

Jeff Thurston jthurston at skyline-ats.com
Wed Jun 10 02:40:27 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 3:03 PM, Jeff Thurston <jthurston at skyline-ats.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 12:30 PM, Scott Harris <mythtv at webhounds.net>wrote:
>> Jeff Thurston wrote:
>>> Can anyone recommend a better way of exporting recordings to an iPod
>>> touch?
>>> I use mythrename+handbrake, but would like to make this as simple as
>>> possible for the wife...
>>> I've tried Mythexport with limited success, but that might be due to
>>> ffmpeg.
>> Like the OP, I also use ffmpeg, in a user job, thusly:
>> /usr/bin/ffmpeg -i "%DIR%/%FILE%" -f mp4 -vcodec mpeg4 -b 1200kb  -g 300
>>  -ab 192 -s 320x240 -aspect 4:3 "/video/ipod/%TITLE%-%SUBTITLE%.mp4"
>> You just navigate to the recording you want (via myth) and have it
>> processes the job.  I have it output to a directory that is accessible
>> via http so then she can just hit the web site and start watching.  She
>> doesn't have to sync anything this way.
>> Scott
> Thanks Scott, your suggestion  did it for me. I'm not sure what is wrong
> with MythExport, the problem obviously isn't ffmpeg now. Should have thought
> of this myself though :D
After my own experimentation I found that all the versions of ffmpeg I'd
tried were unreliable - audio sync problems and such.

HandBrakeCLI seems to be the answer for me in this case;

UserJob1: /usr/bin/HandBrakeCLI -i %DIR%/%FILE% -o
/mythtv/videos/iPodTouch/"%TITLE%"-"%SUBTITLE%".mp4 -e x264 -q
0.589999973773956 -a 1 -E faac -B 128 -R 48 -6 dpl2 -f mp4 -X 480 -m -x