[mythtv-users] MythTV useful newegg deal 8 bay SATA to eSATA (Port Multiplier) enclosure

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 15:25:31 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 11:18 AM, Andrew Close<aclose at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 9:28 AM, Steven Adeff<adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
>> SANS DIGITAL TR8M-B 8 Bay SATA to eSATA (Port Multiplier) enclosure
>> Newegg Item#    N82E16816111051
>> $279.99 with promo code
>> promo code:EMCLTLX35
>> free UPS 3-day shipping
>>
>> has good reviews
>
> cool.
> please excuse my ignorance :)  but does this box actually run an
> OS/raid? or do you attach it to an existing server via eSata for
> increased storage capacity?

you atach it to an existing server, it just provides port
multiplication. it comes with a PCIe 2port eSATA card which I've read
is good but not great, and one reviewer said that he used another even
better card was actually able to get better performance out of the
system.  It does require 2 eSATA ports though (one for each of four
drives). From there you can use Linux' software raid.

--
Steve
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/User:Steveadeff