[mythtv-users] Zotac ION / no video using DVI/HDMI and nvidia driver

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Jun 9 06:51:13 UTC 2009

Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:

>  > outputs work. I know that the MX440 (and maybe another board, can't
>>  remember) would not boot with S-Vdieo unless the device connected to
>>  the S-Video was on. Even though xorg.conf was setup right, if nvidia
>
>How would that work?
>s-video is a one-way only connection, there's no return path
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-video
>
>No way to tell if there's something connected to it or not.

Electronically it's trivial to detect if there is anything connected
- just detect the loading on the output drivers. You can't tell
"what" is connected, but you certainly can tell that "something" is.

As Wade Maxfield says, Macs have done this for a long time - they
will also detect if something is connected to a VGA output even if it
doesn't provide DDC (like some poor quality switches or sharers).

--
Simon Hobson