[mythtv-users] playback scaled to virtual screen size

Preston Crow pc-mythtv08a at crowcastle.net
Tue Jun 9 00:33:29 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-06-09 at 07:37 +0800, Mark Kendall wrote:
> 2009/6/8 Preston Crow <pc-mythtv08a at crowcastle.net>:
> >> Can you confirm everything works as expected if you disable xrandr and
> >> just use either 720p or 1080p/i as the display mode?

> Settings->Appearance->Video Mode Settings - and disable 'Separate
> video modes for GUI and TV playback'
>
> and then just try running mythfrontend using the 2 different display modes.

Yup.  Everything scales to the GUI-mode size, and it looks mostly
normal, as expected.  (I say "mostly" because the GUI mode is a
no-overscan hacked modeline mode.)

> > Is there a spot in the code that I can tweak and test?  (It's easy for
> > me to patch the code and rebuild--I have a live svn Gentoo ebuild that
> > works well for that.)
>
> I'll post something when I've had a chance to test. Otherwise dig in
> videoout_xv and videoout_vdpau for ResizeForVideo and try adding an
> extra display_res->SwitchToVideo call and maybe some pauses and see if
> it helps (though I could be entirely off base).

I tried adding the call, and it didn't seem to help.  That doesn't rule
it out, though, as I might have done something wrong.:

void VideoOutputXv::ResizeForVideo(uint width, uint height)
{
    if ((width == 1920 || width == 1440) && height == 1088)
        height = 1080; // ATSC 1920x1080

    if (display_res) display_res->SwitchToVideo(width, height); // Hack to fix video-switching problem
    if (display_res && display_res->SwitchToVideo(width, height))
    {
        // Switching to custom display resolution succeeded
        // Make a note of the new size

I made the same change in videoout_vdpau.cpp, though I don't think I
have vdpau configured correctly yet, so that shouldn't matter.