[mythtv-users] nvidia ion, vga -> scart cable?

Alex Butcher mythlist at assursys.co.uk
Mon Jun 8 15:56:53 UTC 2009

On Mon, 8 Jun 2009, Thomas Mørch wrote:

> Would it be possible to use a "cheap diy" vga -> scart cable with an ION based board?

I don't see any reason why not, though I'd expect that you'd need something
like <http://www.nexusuk.org/projects/vga2scart/circuit> or
<http://www.keene.co.uk/electronic/keene-electronics/keene-sync-thingy-rgbhv-sync-transcoder/KST1.html>
rather than something as simple as
<http://www.idiots.org.uk/vga_rgb_scart/>.

I use the nexusuk circuit with a Geforce4 440MX. Note that unless there have
been improvements in the ION's hardware or drivers, Xv output is interlaced,
but double scanned (i.e. half vertical resolution, so you'll probably want
to use the Linear Blend deinterlacer in MythTV in order to approximate full
vertical resolution). Non-Xv output has full vertical resolution, as
expected.

> I have an old 32" crt (works fine for me), so have neither hdmi, dvi or vga input on the tv.
>
> I fear that my current setup, with a via epia board gets a little underpowered, when they switch to mpeg4 on dvb-t later this year. And the ION sounds to be relatively future proof...
>
> / Thomas

HTH,
Alex.