[mythtv-users] Organizing Video collection

Nasa nasa01 at comcast.net
Mon Jun 8 15:27:54 UTC 2009

Hi,

I am sure this has been talked about before...  But I can't seem to find a *best practice* for it.  I am using Trunk with the patches from http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Ttvdb.py  (which I hope the mythtv gods will approve of).  Presently, I have my videos setup something like this:

/home/mythtv/vidoes/
    --- symbolic links
        ---Action
        ---Family
        ---Horror
        ---TV
        ---etc
/home/mythtv/Server1 (nfs mounted directory from my server -- BTW: I have similar issues to others noted in previous
                      messages on this list)
        ---Action
        ---Family

/home/mythtv/Server2 (similar to Server2)
         ---Horror
         ---TV
            ---Cartoons
            ---Fringe
            ---Star Trek - TOS
            ---Etc
         ---etc

This setup has some some advantages, I can move directories around and just redo the symbolic link without messing up the database. I don't have to use LVM (don't feel like losing one drive and losing all the data).  I can place a pic in each subfolder and have it displayed in the foler view.

That said, mythtv offers many things to help organize videos/recordings -- this includes VideoGroups, StorageGroups, Categories (limited to 1 per video file), and Genres(can have multiple per video file and should be automagically filled when vidoe metadata is downloaded).  I just can't figure out how best to use all these options.

So that said...  How do people use these tools to organize thier video collection?

Nasa