[mythtv-users] playback scaled to virtual screen size

Preston Crow pc-mythtv08a at crowcastle.net
Mon Jun 8 02:16:07 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-06-08 at 09:19 +0800, Mark Kendall wrote:
> 2009/6/8 Preston Crow <pc-mythtv08a at crowcastle.net>:
> > I verified from the command line that xrandr
> > reports the video mode is 1280x720 for all playback except the 1080i
> > show (which is 1920x1080), which is as expected.  The recorded shows are
> > all scaled to 1920x1080, while live TV is scaled to the current video
> > mode.

> Can you confirm everything works as expected if you disable xrandr and
> just use either 720p or 1080p/i as the display mode?

What's the simplest way of doing that?

> and out of interest - when your tv switches display mode, does it
> blank out for 2-4 seconds?

More like 1-2 seconds, but yes.  Though visually it's the same for both
recorded and live playback (same delay).

>  I think the reason livetv works correctly
> (at least in this case) is because there are 2 calls to switch back to
> 720p. In the case of recordings, there is only one switch. I had a
> suspicion a few months back that mode switching was for some reason
> taking quite a long time on one tv of mine and hence certain display
> parameters were wrong and playback wasn't correct. I think you may be
> seeing the same thing.

Is there a spot in the code that I can tweak and test?  (It's easy for
me to patch the code and rebuild--I have a live svn Gentoo ebuild that
works well for that.)