[mythtv-users] front end starts but unable to watch tv

Mike McMullin mwmcmlln at mnsi.net
Sun Jun 7 20:55:52 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-04-19 at 22:04 -0700, Andreas Schlehahn wrote:
> On Sunday 19 April 2009 19:47:29 Mike McMullin wrote:
> >   Okay I did that, I double checked to see that it registered as the
> > Haupage PVR 150 card after selecting the device, thing is it shows up
> > as /dev/video1, /dev/video24, /dev/video32.
>
> If the PVR150 is your only video-capture-card, it should show up as
> /dev/video0, not /dev/video1. The other two device names (video24, video32)
> are for the other inputs of your PVR 150.
>
> In case you have another video capture device installed, you have to make sure
> that they get the same device names after every restart. One way to do this is
> to create a new udev rule, eg.
>   ATTR{name}=="ivtv0 encoder MPG",NAME="video4"
> would set the PVR 150 to /dev/video4. More info is at
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Device_Filenames_and_udev

  And once again thanks, I added this file to my /etc/udev/rules.d
directory and it is now consistently named>

51-setup-video.rules

KERNEL=="video[0-9]*",ATTR{name}=="gspca main \
drive",DRIVERS=="usb",NAME="video1"
KERNEL=="video[0-9]*",ATTR{name}=="ivtv0 encoder \
MPG",DRIVERS=="ivtv",NAME="video4"

  What I find interesting is that there is very little info out there
dealing with openSuSE and udev.  (and what's
in /usr/share/doc/packages/udev/writing_udev_rules is innacurate to what
SuSE provides).