[mythtv-users] VDPAU ?

dlknight at sdf.lonestar.org dlknight at sdf.lonestar.org
Sat Jun 6 11:13:25 UTC 2009

> On Fri, Jun 05, 2009 at 12:26:02AM -0600, Greg Grotsky wrote:
>>
>> Nvidia 8500GS (PCI) [worked *okay* with lighter deint options, Adv1X
>> would
>> stutter badly]
>> - Process node: 65nm
>> - Transistors: 210 million (?)
>> - Core speed: 567MHz
>> - Mem speed: 400MHz
>> - Mem bus width: 64-bit <- I'm thinking this is a problem
>> - Memory bandwidth: 51.2Gbits/s
>
> If you really are using VDPAU, memory bandwidth is not the
> issue. De-compression is done on the card so the most you
> need to upload is around 8Mb/s.
>
> My guess is the 8500's 2 processors. Only the 8400 has fewer (1).
> The 9500 and 8600 have 4.

Hi,

    I could only use the Bob x2 or One Field x1 with my Asus M3N78 Pro
(8300GS). After making the following change I now have smooth playback
with Temporal x2, Advanced x2 is still choppy.

Change the minimum CPU Scaling Frequency to 1.8GHz by editing the
following file:

/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq

There is an explanation behind this on the nvidia forum:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=5890b0c21e04cafd225aa4c67388fc1f&p=1990532#post1990532

Apparently on AMD boards reducing the CPU frequency when it is not loaded
also reduces the memory bandwidth.

Regards

Dave K.