[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu mythtv-database wants to erase my database.

Bill Williamson bill at bbqninja.com
Sat Jun 6 01:11:50 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jun 6, 2009 at 10:09 AM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>wrote:

> However, anytime there's a protocol or schema update in -fixes, it's always
> done in such a way as to ensure a clean upgrade from -fixes to the
> next-released version will be possible without any manual intervention
> (assuming a properly configured database/database server--where that
> disclaimer will likely make more sense when 0.22 is released).

I've never had a myth update go wrong, so I'm not complaining :)

I was just wanting to clear that up... The official advice given since I've
run mythtv (which is only since .17/.18 so I'm not a really old timer) is
"You must run the exact same svn revision of -fixes across all machines in a
farm."

If this is not the case, and ANY .XX version .21 or greater is guaranteed to
be compatible across back and frontends, it should probably be published on
the wiki/FAQ.  It's very good news for people who don't want to run the same
distribution for front and back ends, and for people who perhaps want a mac
frontend.

The only solution for those people used to be to self-build as none of the
distros keep exactly in sync with eachother.