[mythtv-users] first build, $695 - extra eyes, please

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Fri Jun 5 19:53:52 UTC 2009

Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> says:
> It can't be that hard to have the HDHR accept a static IP, but I
> suppose the target market is Mac and Windows users, which have no
> idea what an IP is.
>
> It's not a major problem, just an annoyance for those of us who like
> as much control as possible over our networks.

I stated in my earlier message that I a) use static IPs via the Tomato
firmware on my WRT54G router and b) the HDHomeRun has one, if only
because every device on my network (down to the two Xboxes) does.

What I don't understand is the assertion that the HDHomeRun benefits
from having one, as both mythtv-setup and hdhomerun_config use a
unique identifier to locate HDHomeRuns on the network, as opposed to
using an IP address or hostname. Are there other applications that use
the latter?

--
Frontend/backend:	P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array