[mythtv-users] Torn between 9400 IGP and discrete 9500GT

Brian Long briandlong at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 14:32:54 UTC 2009

As I understand it, an ideal motherboard for VDPAU usage is one which
has the Nvidia 9400 IGP (i.e. Gigabit E2SL, etc).  However, I've read
that the 9400 IGP cannot handle the most advanced deinterlacing
schemes like Advanced 2X and a discrete graphics card is required.
For about the same price as a Nvidia 9400-based board ($130), I could
get a cheap motherboard and a 9500GT or 9600GT.  Since I'm looking to
keep things compact, I'm thinking a low-profile card makes the most
sense.  What do you think?

M/B:
Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L ($53)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128357

Card:
Zotac ZT-96TES3L-FSL GeForce 9600 GT 512MB Low-Profile ($100)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187063
-or-
SPARKLE SFPX95GT512U2L GeForce 9500 GT 512MB Low-Profile ($55)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500103

The first card puts me over the price of the 9400-based motherboard,
but includes HDMI instead of just DVI.  I normally stick with bigger
vendors like MSI or Gigabyte, but these Zotac or Sparkle cards seem to
be the best bet for low-profile installs.  What else would be
recommended if I wanted to put these in a uATX case with low-profile
slots?

/Brian/