[mythtv-users] Strong signal, ugly artifacts...

Andrea Giuliano sarkiaponius at alice.it
Thu Jun 4 21:53:27 UTC 2009

Dear Robert,

thanks for your kind answer. Can you please give me reference values for
SNR and Bit Error? I got 4.8 dB and 2000-3000 for them, depending on the
channels. Actually, SNR seems to be constant, I mean it's alway 4.8 dB,
while BE changes instead.

Also, my dish works perfectly fine with my stand alone decoder (I have
two cables from one dish), so I guess it's not its fault.

Best regards.

Robert McNamara wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 1:51 PM, Andrea Giuliano <sarkiaponius at alice.it
> <mailto:sarkiaponius at alice.it>> wrote:
>
>     I'm seeing horrible artifacts in my DVB-S recordings, even though
>     MythTV says the signal strength is 99%
>

> Signal strength isn't what you think it is.  Signal strength is the
> strength of the electrical signal between the card and the LNB, *not* an
> indication of quality of the signal.  More helpful for this is SNR
> (Signal to Noise Ratio) and Bit Error.  Low SNR or high bit error means
> bad quality signal.  Repoint the dish.
>
> Robert

Andrea