[mythtv-users] first build, $695 - extra eyes, please

Larry T larryt at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 17:26:55 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 11:18 AM, Kevin Bailey
<ke-myth at retriever.dyndns.org>wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 04, 2009 at 08:16:09AM -0400, Larry T wrote:
> >
> > Why are you looking at the 2 pcHDTV cards instead of an HDHomeRun?
> http://
> > www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815327005
> >
> > I have both a pcHDTV-5500 and an HDHR (and a PVR-150) and both were
> fairly easy
> > to configure. I have never made use of the pcHDTV-5500's analog recording
> > capability because I found it cumbersome to have to record the audio
> stream
> > separately. I prefer the HDHR for the ease of setup and I can plug the
> HDHR and
> > its associated coaxial cables in a closet without the need for extra
> clutter by
> > my TV. There is also a good amount of cost savings for the single HDHR
> over the
> > two pcHDTV-5500's if all you care about is the digital recording
> capability.
>
> The HDHR is certainly cheaper and more convenient but
> a few clarifications.
>
> Unless the 5500 is different than the 3000, you don't need
> to do anything special to record analog audio. Just
> enable the feature in the EEPROM. Analog is going away
> in a few days, but another use may be to convert some
> old VHS tapes.

The following thread talks about the hassles I faced with analog audio and
the 5500.  I guess I meant NTSC to be more specific. I tried for a few
moments and just walked away because the added value was so low to me since
I already have an analog tuner for recording my analog cable.