[mythtv-users] first build, $695 - extra eyes, please

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 11:09:21 UTC 2009

Hi

2009/6/4 Troy Goodson <TroysLists at lavabit.com>:
> I'm looking to build my first rig.  I want HDMI audio/video and I want to be
> able to play high-bitrate H.264 movies.  I plan on hooking this up to a
> 42-inch Panasonic Plasma TV.
>
> Processor:  Intel E8400 Wolfdale  Core 2 Duo 3.0 GHz
>  $165 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115037

Good combination...

Just can get a cheaper processor though.
I run a E8200 on my backend (2.6GHz) and it's more than enough.

I put a E8500 on my frontend about one month before VDPAU came out. If
I had known I wouldn't have taken that processor. And the IGP on that
board can do everything to decode video

A E5200 is amost 1/3rd of the price and will do almost everything you
need in a backend without hassle.

To start with, you could go with the stock cooler, it's quiet enough
and that case is quiet ; you will heard the hard drive more than you
will hear the CPU fan