[mythtv-users] Upgrade to VDPAU or fix my xorg file

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 22:31:17 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 3:18 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> VDPAU-capable cards are remarkably cheap, even PCI cards are reported to work,
> though they might have problems with non-VDPAU stuff (OSD?).

Certainly true for the 8400GS PCI card I got for testing.  On a
1366x768 display, OSD fade causes major stuttering, as does
closed-caption display when the cc text is rapidly changing, like
live-captioned news or sports.  The occasional cc text or OSD isn't
really noticeable.

Isaac Richards posted here that this is because the OSD hasn't yet
been converted to VDPAU, but it will at some point.

Jim