[mythtv-users] Upgrade irblaster LIRC Woes (but fixed watching live tv)

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 21:07:09 UTC 2009

On 03/06/2009, Edward Brookhouse <ebroo at healthydirections.com> wrote:
> Thanks Nick I appreciate your time -
>

>  If you have a digital camera/camcorder, you may well be able to see
>  the IR emissions by looking through the viewfinder.
>
> A: I used a digital camera to look for the ir - none was seen so I ordered the new irblaster(apparently prematurely)
>

>  i) I'm guessing you're running another instance of lircd for your
>  remote control. Which kernel module is it using, and is it working
>  normally?
>
> A: Yes, and it works perfectly

OK

>  root      2156     1  0 Jun01 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/lircd --device=/dev/lirc0
>  root      2378     1  0 Jun01 ?        00:00:03 /usr/sbin/lircd --driver=default -d /dev/lirc1 --output=/dev/lircd1 --pidfile=/var/run/lircd1.pid

OK

>   ii) For the second instance of lircd running to control the blaster,
>  which driver, device and socket are you using?
>
> A: The second lircd instance shown above is for the blaster

OK. From your mention of lirc_i2c I'm guessing your remote control is
using a Hauppauge IR receiver.

>  iii) What modprobe entries do you have (e.g. are you running setserial
>  to release the COM port, is lirc_serial configured with the correct
>  values?)
>

> A: I added this to startup just in case:
>  /bin/setserial /dev/ttyS1 uart none
>  /sbin/modprobe lirc_serial io=0x3f8 irq=4

Trying replacing the modprobe line with:

/sbin/modprobe lirc_serial irq=4 io=0x3f8 type=0 softcarrier=1

and please post the syslog output when the module is loaded.

>  My modprobe.d has a lirc which includes:
>  alias char-major-61 lirc_i2c

Try replacing the above alias line with:

alias char-major-61-0 lirc_i2c
alias char-major-61-1 lirc_serial

>  iv) Is the remote definition for the blaster in /etc/lircd.conf?
>
> A: Both the Hauppauge remote, and the blaster remote are in there

OK

>  v) Do you see any LIRC messages in the syslog? Does irsend give any
>  errors when run? What about the blaster's lircd process when run from
>  the command line?
>

> A: No errors have appeared anywhere, but I will try running lirc manually with debug and see
>

>  vi) What are the permission on your LIRC devices?
>
> A:
>  lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     5 2009-06-01 18:27 /dev/lirc -> lirc0
>  crw-rw---- 1 root root 61, 0 2009-06-01 18:27 /dev/lirc0
>  crw-rw---- 1 root root 61, 1 2009-06-01 18:27 /dev/lirc1
>  srw-rw-rw- 1 root root     0 2009-06-01 18:27 /dev/lircd
>  srw-rw-rw- 1 root root     0 2009-06-01 18:27 /dev/lircd1

Those look fine for the root user.

>  Also -
>
>  irsend --device /dev/lircd SEND_ONCE rm-y812 2
>  irsend: command failed: SEND_ONCE rm-y812 2
>  irsend: hardware does not support sending

Expected for an IR receiver (/dev/lirc0) or if module built without Tx support.

>  [root at tv init.d]# irsend --device /dev/lircd1 SEND_ONCE rm-y812 2
>
>  [root at tv init.d]# irsend --device /dev/lircd1 SEND_ONCE rm-y812 2
>
>  [root at tv init.d]# irsend --device /dev/lirc1 SEND_ONCE rm-y812 2
>  irsend: could not connect to socket
>  irsend: Connection refused

Expected. No socket specified.

>  [root at tv init.d]# irsend --device /dev/lirc0 SEND_ONCE rm-y812 2
>  irsend: could not connect to socket
>  irsend: Connection refused

Expected. No socket specified.

>  [root at tv init.d]# irsend --device /dev/lirc SEND_ONCE rm-y812 2
>  irsend: could not connect to socket
>  irsend: Connection refused

Expected. No socket specified.

Nick