[mythtv-users] Upgrade to VDPAU or fix my xorg file

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Jun 3 20:24:05 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 03 June 2009 13:53:53 Stephen Peters wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This might be off topic, so sorry if it is.
>
> I have a problem. My office computer running ubuntu 9.04 just can't get
> 2 graphics cards to work at the same time, no matter what i do with
> xorg. So i am thinking of upgrading my mythbox to a vdpau capable card
> and taking the nvidia 7300 from my mythbox and sticking it into my
> office computer to get dual monitors working.
>
> Since a lot of people on this list are (in my opinion) experts with
> their xorg setups (you kinda have to be with mythtv), i thought i'd
> check with the list readers and see if anyone here is running two video
> cards on ubuntu. My two video cards are ATI Rage XL 8mb pci cards (and
> the intel onboard card for the dell 4700 desktop). I have 3 monitors,
> but just getting two of them working would be great. Right now i'm stuck
> on just one monitor.

Using two cards from different makers woudl mean running two X servers, and I
suspect they might not cooperate well if you want to make one large screen
out of two monitors.

So adding an nVidia card to your ATI and Intel mix would probably just confuse
things even more.

It might be possible, but I'd think that having two similar cards, or at least
cards that could use the same driver, would make things easier.

I know you can run two monitors with a single nVidia card.

That ATI card is, well, ancient. Do you have an AGP or PCIe slot in the office
machine? I suspect your 7300 is not a PCI card.

--
beww
beww at beww.org