[mythtv-users] Quick opinions

Bill Williamson bill at bbqninja.com
Wed Jun 3 04:03:55 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 1:04 PM, Alan Marchiori <alan at alanmarian.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 9:46 PM, Alan Marchiori <alan at alanmarian.com>
> wrote:
> > OK, ran into issues, but I have to stop playing for now.
> Update....  a very interesting result.  I looked at /proc/cpuinfo and
> it reported my CPU as 1GHz (should be 2.6GHz).  I did some searching
> around and installed the cpufrequtils ubuntu package.  cpufreq-info
> also reported 1GHz even while playing the h264 file.  I played around
> with the different governors and only performance put the reported cpu
> freq up to 2.6GHz.
> Bottom line is with the CPU at 2.6GHz the clip played fine with
> perfect audio sync and 35%-40% cpu load.
> I have a mostly stock mythubuntu 9.04 system.  Not sure why default it
> clocks the CPU so low.?

Because if you're not using it, it's fine to be slow as it uses less energy
and generates less heat (and thus less fan noise).

VDPAU has caused a funny and new issue:  You need bus and memory bandwidth,
but not cpu power.  The governors do not have any way to detect this, so
they simply see "5% cpu? No need to clock up!".