[mythtv-users] Problem with 1080i h264 video - video appears to be twice as long as it should.

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 18:25:27 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 12:09 PM, Manuel McLure<manuel at mclure.org> wrote:
>> Recording with Myth, right?  The problem as actually with Myth's basic
>> parsing of the H.264 stream during recording.  This has been fixed in
>> trunk, but is unlikely to be backported to the fixes branch.
>>
>> At least this is true for HD-PVR and DVB recordings.  I am not sure
>> how IPTV works.
>
> Yeah - I'm recording with Myth. I'm not sure how the IPTV works, but I
> _think_ it just writes the raw incoming UDP stream to disk.
>
> Any chance of finding out what SVN changeset fixed this in trunk so I
> can test backporting it myself?

Myth does (pretty much) just write the raw data to disk.  However, it
has to do basic parsing of the stream to figure out where the
keyframes are, so it can write the seektable to the database.

For H.264 interlaced material, it used to write the information for
every field instead of every frame, so there are twice as many entries
as there are supposed to be.  Net result is it thinks it is twice as
long as it really is, when you go to play it back.

Take a look at:
http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/5836
and
http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/6243

5836 is currently in trunk.  6243 is still pending.

John
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?