[mythtv-users] GCC 4.1 & 4.3 fails to build Mythtv svn trunk

Sam Logen starz909 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 1 23:51:30 UTC 2009

--- On Mon, 6/1/09, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] GCC 4.1 & 4.3 fails to build Mythtv svn trunk
> To: "Sam Logen" <starz909 at yahoo.com>
> Date: Monday, June 1, 2009, 4:25 PM
> 2009/6/2 Sam Logen <starz909 at yahoo.com>:
> > So is it something that should be fixed upstream with
> mythtv, or with ffmpeg?
> >
> > It's my understanding that mythtv uses internal ffmpeg
> libraries instead of linking to ffmpeg libs in the system,
> so would it be detrimental to the entire mythtv build to
> omit these flags, just so that the ffmpeg libraries will
> compile correctly?
>
> there's nothing to fix in either mythtv or ffmpeg, it's all
> due to the
> compilation option you are using.
>
> Using -DPIC -fPIC was often used for compiling mythtv 0.21.
> SInce they
> updated to a more recent ffmpeg, which uses more mmx code
> (i386
> assembly), those options don't work anymore.
>
> Looks to me that you're using the same option you used for
> 0.21, but with trunk
> Just don't pass those two options to configure... and it
> will compile

Well I just bypassed the ebuild and issued the appropriate './configure' string directly to the svn source.  Now the makefiles do not have either of those two cflag options.  So now it's down to hunting where in my ebuild file it's telling the script to add the fPIC and DPIC flags.

Thanks for the assistance!
Sam