[mythtv-users] HD-PVR resolution detection

DISAFAN disafan at aim.com
Fri Jul 31 19:01:07 UTC 2009

I've been trying to change my method of output to the mythnuv2mkv
script, and I discovered a problem. After some searching, I traced the
problem to the container of the H264 files output by the HD-PVR recordings.

The mplayer command is used to detect width and height. However in all
files the ID_VIDEO_HEIGHT/WIDTH parameter is set to 0. So all the
detection fails.

So the question is two-fold. Does anyone have any suggestions for a
script to aid me in detecting and setting these parameters? Then I could
batch convert the directory to include them. It seems ultimately easier
than trying to change the method of detection on a multitude of scripts
that use Mplayer.

The second question is...since no one else has reported this problem,
why is this being set to 0 instead of the resolution? What is
responsible for setting the resolution, the HD-PVR firmware or the
MythTV recorder? If it is the latter, is this something I should submit
as a bug?

My contribution to the bug process has never been particularly useful.