[mythtv-users] Lirc, Harmony 525 remote & SuSE 11.1

Johan Heikkilä johan.heikkila at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 08:41:54 UTC 2009

2009/7/31 john blue <rwc at bestpond.com>:
> I am progressing with my mythtv installation but am having a problem with getting Lirc to co-operate with my
> Harmony 525 remote.
>
> I am running SuSE 11.1 and have been looking at the excellent generic guide for harmony remotes contributed
> by Douglas Wagner.
>
> Presently I am trying to resolve two issues which are preventing me progressing.
>
> 1. I have to configure the configuration file /etc/sysconfig/lirc and had been following the guide to setting
> up opensuse (10.2, 10.3 & 11.x) on the wiki, in those guides it suggests editing the file to have:
> LIRCD_DRIVER="default"
> LIRCD_DEVICE="/dev/lirc"
> LIRC_MODULE=lirc_i2c     in this case it is referring to the PVR-150 remote, of which I know nothing.
>
> So my issue is what lirc_module would I use for the Logitech harmony 525 remote?
>
> 2. The other issue is what Lirc modules should be loaded with the kernel at boot time, anbd should they all
> be available with the SuSE packages?
>

> I should also mention that I am using a Silverstone 16MR case which has the Soundgraph Imon display and had
> an Imon pad remote. The display works well with LCDproc and the imon remote was working previously, except
> for a couple of dead keys, which is partly why I am hoping to use the Harmony 525 remote..
>
> I would appreciate any assistance or advice to move me further along my mythtv path.
>
> john

It is a long time since I set up my Logitech 525. Basically I chose a
device from the Logitech database, I think it was some kind of PVR
device that had most of the buttons needed for Myth. I then recorded
the signals from the 525 remote and created a lirc.conf.

The module you load depends on the IR receiver and not the remote
itself. I have never succeeded loading lirc modules automatically. In
Fedora, it is possible to load modules early in /etc/sysconfig/modules
or simply in some of the bootup scripts. You just have to make sure
that the lirc daemon starts after.

Johan